Thought for the day
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."
- Matthew 7:7-8
St. John's English Church in Kannur under the Malabar Diocese of the Church of South India (CSI) has been declared as a conserved monument and dedicated to the common public by Mr Ramachandran Kadannappalli; Minister for Museums, Archaeology and Archives, in a function held at the church. Rt. Rev. Royce Manoj Victor, the Bishop in the Diocese, officially received the preserved documents from the minister. Mr K. Sudhakaran, Member of Parliament, chaired the function.
A considerable amount of Rupees 86.50 Lakhs (8.65 million) was spent on the conservation of the church building. An amount of Rupees 22.29 Lakhs was allotted to preserve the invaluable documents of the church. The Minister expressed the willingness of the State to conserve the cemetery of the church in which around five hundred foreigners were buried.
There are documents as old as in 1853 among the preserved ones by the government. Around ten thousand pages from various documents such as a Holy Bible published in 1892, Baptism register, Marriage Register, and Service Register are preserved by the Museum of Kerala in this process.
Rev. Raju Cheeran, the Vicar of the church and the committee members organised the meeting following the COVID protocols.
(St John's CSI Anglican Church, the first Protestant Church in Malabar, established in 1811, is one of the oldest British monuments in north Kerala and is situated in the Kannur Cantonment. The church was established for the British militia who was camping here and was constructed by the Military engineers from Madras (now Chennai, in Tamilnadu). In a treaty with the Tipu Sultan of Mysore, in 1792, the whole of Malabar North Kerala and part of South Karnataka) became under the British East India Company. In 1805, the East India Company decided to establish churches in all their seven military garrisons, including Kannur.
As directed by the Chaplain of Madras Presidency, the plan and estimate for the chapel with a capacity of 600 persons was then prepared by the Military Board. In 1811the work of this chapel was completed with an amount of 5000 pagodas (Rs.36,000/-). A cemetery was also provided near the church. In 1808, Rev. John Dustar Willy was appointed for conducting Holy mass for the military and civilians and the construction was under his supervision. Later he served as Chaplain for more than 15 years, till his death. Immediately after the completion of the Church, the directors wrote a letter to the Senior Chaplain the Archbishop of Canterbury, seeking permission to officially dedicate the church and cemetery. But the function was delayed due to various reasons. In 1833, with the withdrawal of the Military Guards from the church, it became more civilian oriented. Later when Basel mission arrived in Kannur, their missionaries conducted services. In 1852, the church has renovated and modified.
The construction is a combination of Kerala and the Greek styles and from an aerial view, it looks like a cross. The Greek-style pillars and the design have been adopted from the style which was popular in those times in England. The main portion of the church measures 70ft length, 47ft breadth and 41ft height. The church is constructed in laterite bricks with lime plastering having a tiled roof, wooden ceiling and granite slabs for flooring.. The altar is simple. The chairs, benches and the pulpit are in wood and still stand elegant. Many marble plaques are mounted on the walls in memory of Britishers. This includes the one in memory of the three Army officers who died in the Coorg war in 1834 and one in memory of Murdoch Brown, who cultivated the Cinnamon plantations in Anjarakkandy. Apart from the main hall, there are separate portions for military prisoners (who serve as assistants) during sermons and mass. The small annexes in the church is said to have been used as horse stables
So many documents related to the church like Baptism register, Cemetery register, reports and accounts of the church, Books on Prayers and songs, utensils all are still preserved.
The cemetery accommodates many tombstones of various types and sizes. Some tombstones are totally damaged and some parts and covered in thick undergrowth. Most of the tombstones are made of laterite bricks with a marble slab on top, inscribed with the personal details of the buried of which the majority are Europeans. Even though the graveyard is in a bad condition, the structures of the graveyard take us back to the glorious past of the British in India.
Information Courtesy: Article on St John's church by Rev. K. C. Thomas published in Malayalam during the 175th anniversary year, based on the book 'The Church of Madras, Vol II', by the Rev. Fr. Frank Penny.)